Here is the before. This picture is even AFTER I started working on it some. It was pretty bad y’all. I knew I was in for some work.
The paint job was awful and DIRTY! The hardware was in really bad shape and after a failed attempt to save it I ended up throwing it out.
Of course, the inside was covered in faded 80s contact paper. But I found a super easy way to remove contact paper! The tip seriously saved my sanity.
As I mentioned above, I had to order all new hardware. The spacing on the original holes was very odd. I ended up going with ebay. The handles were the perfect shape, color, and best of all…price!
For the inside of the cabinet, I had this vision of something behind those glass doors. Something on the back that would make the cabinet pop. I saw this tutorial over on Pretty Handy Girl on how to add fabric to the back of cabinets and knew that was my solution. Brittany’s tutorial is super easy to follow and best of all it can be applied and removed easily. It is really perfect for a vintage piece that you don’t want to harm. I will offer some instructions below, but head on over to Pretty Handy Girl for even more pictures and step-by-step instructions!
For my cabinet, I wanted to use vintage quilt squares. If you don’t follow my blog, I love all things vintage and these quilt squares are definitely my thing. I had to sew the squares together for this project. Plus I added filler strips to some of them to have something to wrap and secure around the foam board. In my case, these squares were almost a perfect fit so the excess was needed.
Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage