Where’s the remote? That’s a question I get asked daily.
Welcome to the Thrift Store Decor monthly challenge. Today I’m sharing my latest project; a recycled cigar box and that is where the remotes are now stored! This simple idea can be recreated using a paint color that matches your decor. Empty cigar boxes have so many possibilities. With this step by step tutorial you can turn them in to the perfect home accessory to store any thing that will fit in them.
Recycled Cigar Box
I have included affiliate links to some of the products used.
Supplies used to refresh the cigar box:
- cigar box (Empty Cigar Boxes)
- spray paint (I used Rustoleum Chalked in the color Serenity Blue)
- General Finishes Milk Paint (Patina Green – you can use any color or any brand of paint)
- paint brush
- transfer (Chalk Couture Farm House)
- chalk paste (Color: Chalkology Thai Teal)
- clear top coat
- Paint the inside and outside of the cigar box. You can use any paint that you like. I had both of these on hand and love the colors. The General Finishes Patina Green looks turquoise to me, I’m not sure why that call it patina green 🙂
- After the paint has dried, apply transfer. It has a sticky back and is a silkscreen, unlike a stencil it has little to no bleed on the edges. It cleans up with warm water and can be used a dozen times or more.
- Apply a clear top coat if you want the chalked wording to be permanent. Once it dries and that doesn’t take long, it is smudge free. If you decide not to apply a topcoat, you can spray it with water and wipe it to remove it. It’s just a chalk paste.
These cigar boxes were free and I consider that one of my thriftiest makeovers. I have a couple more, I’m thinking one would be perfect on the bedside table to put those earrings in that I forget to take off.
If you like my Recycled Cigar Box then you will love all the other Thrift Store Ideas:
Be sure to visit the other makeovers from the team below!
My Repurposed Life
Our Southern Home
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
House of Hawthornes
Need more cheap storage check out these: Dollar Store Bins
15 thoughts on “Recycled Cigar Box”
Great idea! I need to do this.
I need to go find a cigar box 🙂 Great makeover!
Thank you! I wish we were closer, I have a couple more!
I love viewing your completed projects. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks so much Nancy! I appreciate you!
Great project. I hope you can get others in your household to put the remotes in the box! I think the paint is patina green because that turquoise is about the color of the patina on copper; I use a similar color when I do a faux patina finish!
Hi Kathy, Isn’t that the truth!! Oh yeah, you’re right about the copper patina!
So pretty! I love your paint choices.
Thank you, I’ve never met a shade of blue that I didn’t love!
Really pretty cigar box makeover Debbie. You’re really creative at knocking out thrift store decor ideas!
Thanks Gail, I love these thrift store challenges, they get me in a creative mood!
Aren’t thrift store boxes the absolute best! I love the bold teal on this one. Perfect in your family room. 🙂
Thanks Christy, I may have gone a little teal overboard but I love it!