Since moving to the gulf coast, we’ve been transforming our home inside and out over the past year. With the porch finished, it’s time to concentrate on the patio. Before an empty spot, now a place for conversation. My patio decorating ideas are a mix of color and texture, new and old.
This post is sponsored by Better Homes & Gardens at Walmart. Affiliate links have been added for your convenience.
Creating a comfortable and welcoming space takes a little planning but it can be done in a timely manner and on budget.
I approach decorating outside the same way I do inside and here are a few things to consider.
- What will you be using the space for: dining, lounging, sunning?
- Size – measure the area before shopping
- Color – I wanted the porch and patio to be cohesive so I went with same color scheme.
- Shade or Sunny
This part of my patio is on the corner between the porch and the pool. I wanted to create a seating area that could be used for entertaining and lounging. A spot for morning coffee, evening cocktails and everything in between.
Choose 3 to 4 colors, my color scheme was decided last year with the porch furnishings and this year I’m just building on what I already have. As you can see, I love mixing colors found in nature, blues, greens and wood tones.
- Furniture – mix of wood, wicker, steel
- Decor – pillows, lighting
The Better Homes & Gardens Davenport 7-piece sectional fit perfectly in my corner of the patio. You can configure the seats as I have in a sectional manner or you can separate the pieces to fit your needs. The seating is made of all weather wicker with a steel base. It comes with two acacia wood tables that can be used for a coffee table or end tables. I love the mix of wood, metal and wicker of this set. The neutral colored cushions would go perfectly with any color scheme.
Blue and Green Nature Inspired Color Mix:
- After choosing the furniture, I chose the rug. This rug has varying shades of blue woven through out a quatrefoil pattern. It’s the perfect color combo to build on and ground the space. (Rug: Camrose Farmhouse 6’6×9’6)
- These solar lanterns add just the right amount of light after the sun goes down. (Solar lanterns: Better Homes & Gardens 16″ Solar Powered Wood Lantern)
- Better Homes & Gardens has a wide variety of outdoor pillows, these fit my color story perfectly. Love the details, like the braided trim on the striped one. (Better Homes & Gardens Outdoor pillows: Soliel Medallion and Carnival Stripe.)
The space is accessorized with a few pillows and lanterns on the tables, I made sure to leave room for drinks or snacks. I think we over accessorize sometimes, we need room for trays of food, am I right!
Mixing in what I already have:
- This candle holder is from a couple of years ago but because I love mixing blues it still works.
- My log side table is an oldie that’s been around for several years, another natural for the mix.
- The umbrella is also from last year, but you can find several options in the Better Homes & Gardens line; I love this Cabana stripe on this one.
Murphy loves it when we spend time outside, she really appreciates a comfy place to join her family. She’s not much on swimming but she loves lounging!
Our patio is ready, now if we can just get rid of all the pollen!
Be sure to check online, they have so many beautiful items! I love finding affordable decor and organization items at Walmart and sharing it with my readers, I am proud to be a part of the Better Homes & Gardens Live Better Blogger Network!